Getting support for your child

March 1st, 2011 -

Child support in New Zealand is a system that helps ensure that main carer of a child in a single parent household receives the support he or she is entitled to from the child’s other parent.

If you aren’t receiving the support you think you should you can apply to the IRD to intervene on your behalf. They will work out the amount that you should be receiving and collect this directly from the child’s other parent, or in some cases from their employer.

The government is currently reviewing the child support system with a view to updating it. If you have something to say you can do so at www.ird.govt.nz/childsupport

Leave a Reply